This apple cinnamon pie has all that an apple cinnamon pie needs. It has the flakiest butter pastry crust that just melts in your mouth. It is perfectly sweet. The filling is chunky, gooey apples, sweet and cinnamony with the right amount of tartness. It is very easy to make and everyone at home loves it. It is great hot or cold with some vanilla bean or cinnamon ice cream.
The pastry that I used for this recipe is the recipe uses ALL the time. For sweet and savoury (with a little bit of change). You can find the recipe here.
For the filling, I mixed together the sliced apples, lemon juice cinnamon, allspice, flour, icing sugar and butter in a bowl. And refrigerated it till my pastry baked and cooled. You can use any apples, a combination of sweet and tangy is best. The apples need to be sliced thinly. Otherwise, they will not cook in the oven. I recommend using chilled filling to avoid the base from going soggy. (The crust MUST be at room temperature). The butter can be room temperature or melted.
Add the filling in the pie crust. You can even just dump them and organise them a little to flatten a little or lay each slice one by one. Both ways work. As you can see, I just dumped it in the shell. Cover it with the remaining half and brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle sugar on top.
Bake till the top turns golden brown. Serve hot with Vanilla ice cream. (OR cold works too)
Makes- 1 8 inch Apple pie
Total time- 1 hour, 30 minutes
Apples- 4 Large, sliced thinly
Lemon Juice- 2 Tablespoons
Flour- 3 Teaspoons
Cinnamon- 2 Teaspoon
Allspice- 1/4 Teaspoon (Optional)
Icing Sugar- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup ( Based on how sweet the apples are)
Butter- 3 Tablespoons
- Mix the apple slices, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, allspice, flour, icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Add the filling in the pie crust.
- Cover the top with the other half of the dough.
- With a knife, make small cuts to allow the steam to pass.
- Brush the top with some butter and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 210 Degrees for 40 Minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with Ice cream.